Monday, October 5, 2015

The Creatures of the Night Book Tag


I love Halloween and I love reading books with a paranormal/ Halloweenish feel at this time of year. 
So I knew that I wanted to do the Creatures of the Night Book tag when I saw it on YouTube. 
This tag was created by Kat at Katytastic. You can check out her video here.
Basically she gave a group of different creatures of the night and I have to pick my favorite ones from books for each category. 

#1: Vampires


I have to go with Dracula by Bram Stoker. 
Dracula is by far my favorite book about vampires. It is so creepy and so good. 

"The old man motioned me in with his right hand with a courtly gesture, saying in excellent English, but with a strange intonation: 'Welcome to my house! Enter freely and of your own will!' He made no motion of stepping to meet me, but stood like a statue, as though his gesture of welcome had fixed him into stone. The instant, however, that I had stepped over the threshold, he moved impulsively forward, and holding out his hand grasped mine with a strength which made me wince, an effect which was not lessened by the fact that is seemed as cold as ice- more like the hand of a dead than a living man."

#2: Werewolves


My favorite werewolf is Professor Remus Lupin in the Harry Potter series. 
Lupin is one of my very favorite characters in all of the series so it is a pretty obvious choice for this. 
Also, The Prisoner of Azkaban is tied with the last book for my favorite book in the series and that is mainly because of the Marauders story line and Lupin. 

"I was a very small boy when I received the bite. My parents tried everything, but in those days there was no cure."

#3: Zombies


I am really stretching on this one.  The thing is... I HATE zombies. 
I know they are the hip thing lately but I can't stand them. 
I tried to watch the Walking Dead because so many people recommended it but I couldn't get past the first few minutes of the first episode because it is so gory and gross. That is how I feel about all zombies. So at first I thought I wouldn't have an answer for this but then I decided instead of having a favorite zombie, I would just mention a book/ series that I love that has zombies in it.
That makes my selection Beyonders by Brandon Mull. 
Although, I must admit that when they first appeared in the book I really did say out loud, "No! Not freaking zombies!"
The one thing I like about his zombies is that some of them are still holding on to a little of their human intellect. Still gross though. 

"We mean you no harm, " the rider assured her. "We are drawn to your blood, but we have learned to curb our thirst. We keep herds within the city walls and sate our urges with the blood of animals. We could use your help and you need ours. Th mindless ones and hungry ones have untied into savage tribes. The largest lies to the south and already has your scent."

#4: Ghosts


I was tempted to go with Harry Potter again for this one but since I will be using it at least one more time in this tag I made myself go with something else. 
I don't own this book but I have read it. 
In The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, a boy's family is murdered and he has wandered into a nearby graveyard. There are a husband and wife among the ghosts of the graveyard, Mr. and Mrs. Owen. 
Mr. and Mrs. Owen have been married for 250 years (including the time since they have been dead) and regret that they never had any children. The ghosts of the boy's dead family visit the ghosts of the graveyard and asks them to please take care of their eighteen month old baby. I can't exactly remember why his parent's can't do it if other ghosts can...  but I guess I need to re-read it. 
Mr. and Mrs. Owen meet with the other ghosts in the graveyard and decide to raise the boy. They name him  Nobody Owens, nicknamed Bod. They also keep the villain that murdered his family away from the graveyard and Bod. 

" 'We never had a child', said his wife. 'And his mother wants us to protect him. Will you say yes?"

#5: Witch/ Wizard


I really wanted to use something other than Harry Potter. And I have read a lot of books with witches/ wizards that I love... but I just can't. 
Hermione is my favorite witch. 
I love Hermione. She is not without her faults but she is such a great character. 
(Of course, you could pick so many great witches or wizards from this book for an answer to this question.)

" 'That was far easier than I thought it would be,' said Hermione as they joined the crowds flocking out onto the sunny grounds. 'I needn’t have learned about the 1637 Werewolf Code of Conduct or the uprising of Elfric the Eager.' "

#6: Fairies


I have picked the fairies from Fablehaven by Brandon Mull.
I don't necessarily like the fairies in this book but I find them very interesting as well as the mythology that Brandon Mull has created around them. There are so many different types of fairies. 

"Drink the milk."

#7: Demons and #8: Angels


Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor.
I had to go with this book for both answers because I really wanted it to be a demon and an angel that I actually like and these were the only ones I could think of right now. 
For my demon it is Brimstone. Brimstone has the arms and torso of a human, legs of a lion with raptor feet, a head of a ram and reptilian eyes. He collects teeth and you don't know until later what he does with them. He seems like a horrible, frightening character but he is actually tender and wonderful. 

 "Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic."

For my angel I am choosing Akiva. The angels are actually the bad guys in this series. Akiva has good and bad in him and sometimes you wonder which side you are going to get. 

"As long as he had life, who deserved it so little, he would use it, wield it, and do whatever he could in its name, even if it was not, was never, enough."

#9: Aliens


For my aliens I have to go with Wanderer in The Host by Stephenie Meyer. 
I choose her simply because, even though she is an alien like soul taking over an unwilling human body, she is still my favorite character in the book. 

"What was it that made this human love so much more desirable to me than the love of my own kind? Was it because it was exclusive and capricious? The souls offered love and acceptance to all. Did I crave a greater challenge?...Or was it simply better somehow? Because these humans hate with so much fury, was the other end of the spectrum that they could love with more heart and zeal and fire."

And finally, #10: A Human with some kind of super power


For this one I chose Ani from The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. 
Ani has the gift of animal-speaking meaning she can communicate with animals. 
This is one of my very favorite books. 

 "She was born with her eyes closed and a word on her tongue, a word she could not taste. Her name was Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kildenree, and she spent the first years of her life listening to her aunt’s stories and learning the language of the birds, especially the swans. And when she was older, she watched as a colt was born, and she heard the first word on his tongue, his name, Falada

I am kind of tempted to do this tag again with the movies/ television version but I will see how the month goes before I decide to or not. So, what are some or your favorite creatures of the night in books? 
You can let me know your choices and/or what you think of my choices in the comments and if you want to, consider yourself tagged to do it on your own blog!

4 comments:

The Kings said...

Interesting, your post!

Cheryl said...

Thanks!

Donna said...

Fun post! I need to read Dracula. I read The Graveyard Book for book club last year and I really enjoyed it. And I also really liked The Host and The Goose Girl. Great list of books, you are very well-read!

Cheryl said...

Thanks. I don't always feel that way. There are so many books I still need to read!