Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Europe Adventure: Day Nine, Part Four- The Eagle and Child

After our tour we walked through town to our next destination:

The Eagle and Child


 I love C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien and have been fascinated by the group they were a part of,
 the Inklings, for a long time. 
For as long as I can remember I have wanted to go to Oxford to walk where they walked and to visit The Eagle and Child where they famously went to discuss their literary projects with each other. 
They called it "The Bird and Baby".


It was beyond exciting to walk up to this pub and see it with my own eyes!
It was a really cozy pub. 
We walked up to the bar but were told they were not serving lunch yet today. 
Their kitchen was opening late. 
But she told us we could order drinks and hang around until the kitchen opened so that is what we did. 
We ordered some Diet Cokes and then walked around looking at the memorabilia. 





We found a table in the back room and sat down to enjoy our Diet Coke and some chocolate that my mom bought at the Bodleian library gift shop. 

The menu: 


Soon the girl from the bar came back to tell us that we could come order now. 
As I walked up I decided to take a picture of the bar where you order. 

We went with their traditional fish and chips. 
I am not a seafood fan but I had to try fish and chips in England. 
It was HUGE!


Unlike me, my mom loves seafood. 

I was pleasantly surprised. It was really good. 
We really enjoyed relaxing, talking about the Inklings and about the things we had already done in Oxford, and of course playing with the salt and pepper shakers that reminded us of Daleks (from Doctor Who). 

Our little corner of the pub:

 It still is one of my favorite dining experiences of the entire trip. 

Next up: Christ Church College

4 comments:

The Kings said...

Yep! It was GREAT! And the fish...YUM!

Cheryl said...

Glad you had a great time too!

Seth and Julie said...

Tolkien and Lewis? I had no idea. There work is so different. I wonder what they all talked about in that group. Oh to be a time traveling fly on the wall.

I never order a fish fry but that fish looks so crispy and good.

Cheryl said...

I would love to have been able to sit in and listen to them! All of the Inklings were writers in some shape or form so they would discuss their works, read to each other, give advice, etc.
Tolkien and Lewis were best friends.
In fact it is Tolkien that converted Lewis back into Christianity.