Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Living Planet Aquarium

After learning about the oceans and ocean life the day before, we decided to take a field trip to our local aquarium for the first time since it moved and was upgraded. 
We were pleasantly surprised. 
While it doesn't hold a candle to Shedd in Chicago, it was pretty good for Utah. 

We visited the South America part first. 
 













I guess this little girl is used to me taking a lot of pictures of her. 
She stood in front of this wall and said, "Mom, take a picture of me in front of this cool wall!"









They had a model of the Endurance to play in. That was fun since my mom (she came along with us) and I are both interested in the Endurance after reading a book about Shackleton's expedition. 







Then we went into the 4D movie. 
Maddy didn't want to go but we dragged her in anyway. 
I thought she would like it. 
But apparently Maddy is over movies. 
She doesn't like going to theaters anymore. I think it is because she has to sit still and quiet. 
However, Abi didn't end up enjoying this either and Maddy was in my lap the whole time. 
I sometimes think places create 4D movies for the kids but then you listen to all the screaming children during one (experienced this here and at the Bug's Life one at Disney World) make me think that us adults enjoy them more than children do. 




Next we went to see the penguins.




We saw some very cool jellyfish. 










Then they had some fun playing on the Killer Whales. 
My poor kids are constantly waiting for other kids to be done with their turns on things before they jump on. 
This results in them sitting around waiting for their turn for a LONG time as pretty much every other kid comes running right in and starts climbing. 
I finally convinced them that these didn't have to be one kid toys and then they jumped in too. 

My favorite moment of the day was when we walked up to this section and Maddy told me and my mom, "Orca's are not really whales! They are in the dolphin family!" So cute and she was listening the day before!







Then we went into the Utah section.




Only one otter was out swimming. 
We went into a little bubble thing that lets you get up in the aquarium with them and I turned around in it and saw these sleeping cuties. 












We touched some rays. 



Found Nemo and friends.



Then we went to the shark tunnel. 
Maddy was really scared about going in here. 
But then once we were in it she realized that it was cool and she started dancing around singing to the sharks. 






















We had a lot of fun. 
The girls each picked out a new little friend from the gift shop. 




1 comment:

The Kings said...

Great photos! It was a fun outing and I was impressed with how well they have done.