Sunday, February 19, 2023

A new journey begins with this step...

 

Something I never thought I would post about....

This past year has taken me on quite the journey of discovery. One of these days I plan on blogging the entire thing- the how's and why's of it, but for now I will just document the fact that this month brought us to this point. 

The girls and I resigned from our old church. I went back and forth between whether I cared enough to do it or not, but my girls both made it very clear in December that it was a step they wanted to take. I made sure Doug was okay with it (he is no longer a believing member either, but isn't sure he wants to do this),  and then I did it. 

Honestly, it was such a great feeling. Like the main girl in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, I expected to feel bad or sad. I waited for a feeling of regret to come. But it didn't. I felt lighter than I had in years. I felt celebratory. It was not closure exactly, because I don't think you can come out of a high-demand religion and have closure easily, but it made me feel like I had made a step in the direction that I want to go. They can't count us as numbers anymore. And that felt good. 


No comments: