Tuesday, April 5, 2016

March Reading Wrap Up

You might remember that I had a very ambitious To Be Read pile for March. 
Yeah. That didn't happen. 
I read eight books this month and three of them were read out loud to my kids and one was technically started in February so it was just a March finish. 

Here are the books I read in the month of March: 

1. A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond


"Mr. and Mrs. Brown first met Paddington, a most endearing bear from Darkest Peru on a railway platform in London. A sign hanging around his neck said, "Please look after this bear. Thank you" So that is just what they did." (Goodreads)

I began reading the Paddington books to my daughters for a few reasons. First, we all enjoyed the Paddington movie but had never read the books, and in a couple of days I will be in Paddington station. Because of how much we liked the movie I was pretty sure we would like the book. But I didn't expect that we would love the books as much as we do. My daughters both beg for more chapters. 
You can see a full write up on Scones and Crackers here.
 5 stars *****

2. City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare


"In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother." (Goodreads)

 This book took me a long time to read. 
I was reading the entire series leading up to the new release but that kind of backfired on me. 
After reading them all I was kind of burnt out on this world. All of her books are exceptionally long and it was a lot of time caught up in this world. So, I finally finished it. I decided not to read the other shorter stories that also take place in the world and were on my to be read list, and I haven't even read the new one yet. I hope to get to it in the next couple of months sometime but I really haven't had the desire yet. 
I like her books and I like the world. I love the prequel series. 
But this one and the few right before it all felt to me like they could have been half their length. 
3 stars ***

3. Nory Ryan's Song by Patricia Reilly Giff


"Nory Ryan's family has lived on Maidin Bay on the west coast of Ireland for generations, raising a pig and a few chickens, planting potatoes, getting by. Every year Nory's father goes away on a fishing boat and returns with the rent money for the English lord who owns their cottage and fields, the English lord bent upon forcing the Irish from their land so he can tumble the cottages and clear the fields for grazing. Times are never easy on Maidin Bay, but this year, a terrible blight attacks the potatoes. No crop means starvation. Twelve-year-old Nory must summon the courage and ingenuity to find food, to find hope, to find a way to help her family survive." (Goodreads)

 This book was for book club and was an easy and quick read. It only took me a couple of days to finish. I liked it. It was interesting and I think the author did a good job of giving you the feel of the people, places, and situations in such a short story. 
It wasn't my very favorite and I probably won't read it again but I am interested in reading more in the series. 
4 stars ****

4. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes


"Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick. What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that. What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time." (Goodreads)

I was so torn on this book. I couldn't put it down. I liked most of the characters and definitely liked the main ones. It broke my heart a bit. And it made me think. A lot. 
In the end I didn't like the ending but I feel that it is a worthwhile book. 
You can see my review on Scones and Crackers here
4 stars ****
 
5. More About Paddington by Michael Bond


I won't say too much since I have already covered our Paddington love, but again 5 stars. *****
 
6. Lady Catherine, The Earl, and the Real Downton Abbey by the Countess of Carnarvon


 "Catherine Wendell first met Lord Porchester (Porchey), son of Lady Almina, the heir to Highclere and 6th Earl of Carnarvon, in Gibraltar. At just 19 and utterly entrancing, she had already received many proposals of marriage and immediately caught 24-year-old Porchey's discerning eye." (Goodreads)

I really enjoyed this book. I love the history that she weaves into the stories about Highclere Castle's history. It is well worth the time put into reading it. I can't wait to be there in only a couple of days!
See the review on Scones and Crackers here. 
4 stars ****
 
7. Paddington Helps Out by Michael Bond


5 stars *****
 
8. Jane Austen: A Life by Claire Tomalin 


 "At her death in 1817, Jane Austen left the world six of the most beloved novels written in English—but her shortsighted family destroyed the bulk of her letters; and if she kept any diaries, they did not survive her.  Now acclaimed biographer Claire Tomalin has filled the gaps in the record, creating a remarkably fresh and convincing portrait of the woman and the writer. " (Goodreads)

There was a lot of work put into this biography but it wasn't my favorite. It dragged on quite a bit and most of it was more about the life around Jane Austen than about her. 
Full review soon to come on Scones and Crackers. 
3 stars ***

1 comment:

The Kings said...

Very impressive line up of reading!!