Wednesday, May 24, 2017

A Year with Maud: Thoughts on Anne of the Island


I enjoyed Anne of the Island. 
Again, it was like visiting an old friend. While it doesn't land in the top Anne books for me, it still was fun and entertaining for the most part. 
One of my favorite parts is when Anne is able to visit the home of her birth parents. 
I had completely forgot about that happening. 
She is given letters that were written between her parents and it is the only thing she has ever owned that belonged to her mother. 

Other notable moments and quotes from this book: 

"It is never pleasant to have our old shrines desecrated, even when we have outgrown them."

"We mustn't let next week rob us of this week's joy."

When Ruby is dying I really appreciated the exchange she and Anne had. 
"I think, perhaps, we have very mistaken ideas about heaven- what it is and what it holds for us. I don't think it can be so very different from life here as most people seem to think. I believe we will just go on living, a good deal as we live here- and be ourselves just the same- only it will be easier to be good and to follow the highest. 
All the hindrances and perplexities will be taken away, and we shall see clearly. 
Don't be afraid Ruby."

There is the character of Aunt Jamesina in this book and she can be very funny. 
When Anne is speaking to her of Phil...
"I can't understand her- she beats me. She isn't like any of the girls I ever knew, or any of the girls I was myself."
"How many girls were you, Aunt Jimsie?"
"About half a dozen, my dear."

And of course my favorite part of the entire book is when Anne and Gilbert finally confess their love for each other and we get those wonderful words that the movie used for the end of Anne of Avonlea, 

"I don't want sunbursts and marble halls. I just want you."


No comments: