Sunday, March 2, 2014

A pain in the ....

So, I started this new blog with the intent to not fall behind on it the way I have been doing for the last year.
But I have a good excuse.
I will hopefully be updating soon with all the things that we have been doing but for now... this has been consuming me for the past month and especially the past week.
We had been in our house in Saratoga Springs for a year and we knew we didn't want to stay in it. We didn't feel comfortable in our ward and the longer we lived in the house the more we disliked the neighborhood and the house itself.
Don't get me wrong. There were good and great things. There are always both good and bad anywhere. But there is always that scale of which you feel the most. 
We didn't really know where we wanted to go yet and the housing in Utah is so much more expensive than we thought it would be. So we asked my parents if we could have the option of staying with them for a few months while we looked more. They said yes. 
It turns out that this was exactly what was supposed to happen because there is no way I would have been able to finish that house and start on a new house this week, and Doug's brother has been making his basement into an apartment. We talked to them last week and have agreed to rent it from them.
We will be staying with my parents through May so that Abi can finish the school year at the school down here that she starts tomorrow.  Then we will be moving up to Sandy. 
Now, the biggest obstacle we have had this past week and the reason there was no way I could have prepared a new house is that I have spent the last 9 days in the worst pain of my life. I have been taking Aleve.. and if you know me I have a high pain tolerance and hardly ever take pain meds. Even after c-sections I only took advil for a few days.
It started a week ago Friday. My left arm felt like it had been ripped out of the socket. Then during the night my right foot was in excruciating pain. By Sunday my foot felt better but my shoulder was horrible. I called my doctor at home that morning to make sure I could take Aleve with my other meds. After a total of about 3 hours sleep in two nights I was finally able to sleep for a few hours after taking the aleve.
I had high hopes it was going to get better but then as the week progressed, it moved to my right hip then my left knee, then to my left wrist and hand and then to my right wrist and hand.
I spent Thursday and Friday mopping floors and washing walls and it I couldn't have got through it without help. Doug stayed home to help as much as he could. My sister had my girls. And although I was frustrated that the pain didn't go away after many blessings and prayers, I know without them I wouldn't have been able to get out of bed.
My dr had me skip my Methimazole dose on Thursday to see if it would help and check if it was causing it. (it didn't help) and drew a bunch of blood that all came back normal.
So he told me to call him the middle of next week to tell if it is better or the same and gave me a number of aleve I can take. 
So, Thursday night and Friday night I could barely open my fingers. I couldn't hardly eat or hold a fork. It killed me to pick up my phone. 
Then yesterday it moved to my right shoulder and my left hip and foot. It hurts to get up, to walk, to sit down, to lay down, to turn over, to lift my arms, to pick up a blanket, etc...
I have no idea what is going on. If it is caused by my meds or stress or virus.. I just don't know.
I am holding out hope that within a day or two it will be gone. I haven't been able to really hug or cuddle with my kids in a week and that is killing me. Abi cut her head at my sisters' house on Thursday night and I had to let her hold the paper towel and ice on it and comfort her because I couldn't do it.
My left hand is getting twitchy right now so I think I should stop typing but please, if you wouldn't mind, add your prayers to ours that this will pass. 
I think this has been harder than anything I have ever gone through. Which sounds weird, I know, when it is just pain. But that's just how bad it is.


Seth and Julie said...

Cheryl, You are in my prayers and please go to the doctor! Keep us posted, too.

Holly said...

I'm sorry you're in such pain! I'll definitely keep you in my prayers. I hope you feel better soon!

Donna said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been in pain like that. I had no idea, although I noticed that you hadn't been blogging and weren't on Facebook and Instagram that much. Is it any better now? Did they figure out what's going on?