Sunday, August 13, 2023

Rocky Mountain Homeschool Convention

There aren't any big homeschool conventions in Utah, and I have wanted to go to one ever since we started homeschooling. I knew that if I wanted to, I would have to travel. The Good and the Beautiful did a convention for the first few years, but even those have stopped. In 2020 I bought tickets for the Great Homeschool Convention in California, but obviously that got cancelled. 
This year, knowing that we were going to be using mostly Master Books for our curriculum, I checked their website to see which conventions they would be at. The Rocky Mountain Homeschool convention was listed. They were having a lot of presenters I wanted to see, and it was in Denver, so I decided to grab tickets!
I asked my mom if she wanted to come along, and she did!
We got a room at the convention center. Originally the girls were going to come too, but we decided that my mom and I would just go this time. 
We left on Wednesday, June 14th. With minimal stops we drove the whole day and arrived in Denver in the late afternoon. 



The convention center was really nice, so we were excited to be there. 







We were planning on checking in with convention registration, but that wasn't going to open until the morning, so we settled in to our room and then went to Applebees for dinner. 


The next morning I was able to go register us, and then we spent the next three days going to so many amazing sessions!



Paul Washer:


Andrew Pudewa:






Jeff Myers:


Davy Liu: he used to be a Disney artist (and worked on my favorite- Beauty and the Beast)
It was interesting to see how he left Disney when he realized the direction they were going to be going with their storytelling. He began his own company and is making books and movies with Disney style/ quality animation, but Biblical themes. 



We also visited a mini dinosaur museum that was out in the parking lot.





Jason Lisle- we use his logic curriculum. He is one of my favorites. 



Ruth Chou Simons: 


Jim Ryun- the Olympic runner
My mom is a runner, so this was especially meaningful to her, and it was so much fun. He and his wife were so inspiring, and the class and meeting him afterward were just so cool. 






We had many activities and classes that I didn't take pictures of, but it was just one of the best weekends ever. 
The event ended on Saturday night with a theatrical presentation of Corrie Ten Boom. This woman dresses as her and speaks like her. She shares Corrie's story. 



We spent a lot of time in the vendor hall and bought a LOT!
I got a lot of our curriculum for this upcoming school year, but I also bought a lot of books. 



On Sunday, we drove home. Again, the weekend was just amazing. We were so edified, so encouraged, and so inspired. It was amazing to be in a place with so many other like-minded people. People that homeschool like us, people that share our political views, and people that share the same theological beliefs that I do. 
I loved it so much. 
But I was also happy to get home to my little family. 
The girls set up a little welcome home display for me. 



 

No comments: